Welcome to the blog of author Kathryn Cushman!

Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Breathing smoke

The closest of the current California fires is still a safe distance from where I live, but the ash in the air is TERRIBLE. There is a coat of brownish/grayish grit on everything I own, in spite of heroic (if I do say so myself) cleaning efforts. The schools have cancelled all outdoor PE activities, due to poor air quality.
That said-- this is nothing compared to what the residents San Diego and Malibu are living through right now. One of my critique partners got evacuated from Carlsbad yesterday (along with about 300,000 of his closest friends and neighbors). All in all, a terrible situation.

On a happier note-- I've been doing some extra reading this month, due to the fact that I'm no longer working under deadline. Last week I finished The Restorer by Sharon Hinck. Terrific book. There is plenty of action and suspense, but also the underlying battle of "that little voice in our head" that tells us we are inadequate, unable, and unfit.
There's nothing better than being thoroughly entertained, and gleaning an extra bit of insight at the same time!

No comments: