Welcome to the blog of author Kathryn Cushman!

Friday, October 5, 2007

Here's to the mentors

All you Girl Scout leaders, Sunday School teachers, and coaches out there, who feel as though you are accomplishing absolutely nothing--you have no idea what kind of impact you might be making. Here are a couple of my mentors who probably never had a clue I heard even a word they said.
Mrs. Methvin--aka "Mrs. M". She taught my Sunday night class during my late elementary years. She encouraged me to participate in the Bible drill, and somehow persuaded an 11 year old that it would be fun to be able to find any book of the Bible in under ten seconds, and memorize a bunch of verses! Needless to say, that has been priceless all through my life. She and Mr. M. even had me over to dinner a few times-- she makes a FABULOUS cheesecake. Mmmm!
(That's my Aunt Frances over her shoulder-- isn't she cute?)



Mrs. Cope--aka Daphene. My Sunday School teacher from the time I was in the 8th grade until... college maybe? Every year, my little group persuaded her to promote to the older class with us. Even though she had kids our age, she was still cool! As I mom, I've tried to figure that out. How is a mommy cool to teenagers? I have yet to discover her secret, but I can tell you she still rocks!


No comments: